Monday, July 13, 2009

Thing #18

I confess that I have spent way too many hours working on just this one thing. Unfortunately it wasn't necessarily fun time that I spent. Now, don't get me wrong...you can get a lot of cheap entertainment on YouTube! There are many funny videos -- my frustration came when I was trying to find school videos to incorporate into lessons. I had trouble finding things that would work with concepts with which my students struggle. I found several videos that covered topics like context clues or main idea but they were extremely cheesy! 6th graders don't do cheesy!! :) I eventually found a couple that I think I can use. One is called Literature Circles. In this video, students narrate their experiences with lit circles and the roles they played. This would be great when I am introducing lit circles to my students. However, we don't necessarily use all of the same roles so it would need some tweaking. Maybe I can make a video with a group of students specially for our class. I also found a Digital Book Talk that introduces the 2009 Lonestar Books. This is going to definitely be something I will use with my kids to promote those books and solve those "I can't find anything I like to read..." problems! As for the how to video...I had no idea that you could find so many how to videos on such a multitude of topics. I chose this video called the Fastest Way to Tie a Tie EVER. This is one of those tasks I never learned...thankfully my husband never needs my help! So, who knows, maybe I can figure it out now!

I never even knew about TeacherTube until now! I like that all of the videos have educational purposes so there is less weeding through of videos that are completely not useful for the classroom. I will probably be spending more time exploring this site for videos in the future.

The last video I will leave you with is Michael Jordan vs. CEO John Rogers. I came across this and thought it was so funny! The last line at the end of the video was my absolute favorite, but you have to listen closely! Enjoy...

No comments:

Post a Comment