Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Thing #16

LibraryThing was quite fun! I will definitely be going back to spend more time there. It seems like a wonderful place for people who love to read and I, of course, do!!! I like that there were multiple ways to search and that there were book reviews for each book that I browsed. Once again, this can be as social of a site as you want to make it. I like that you can connect with people who have similar reading interests. There are ways to join online book clubs which is really kind of cool! I am definitely recommending this site to my bookaholic husband! :) (I believe the term is bibliophile -- those 6th grade vocabulary studies are paying off!)

I can see several potential uses for this site both personally and professionally. Some of those I have already touched on above. I like that you can catalogue your entire library and tag each book as you desire. Professionally, it would be a great way for colleagues to share resources. Staff members could also have an online book club -- it would cut out the hassle of fitting in an extra time to meet. I am also always exploring ways to find new reading material to use with my students. I think this will be an invaluable resource! Students could use this to explore reading choices. Our class could also do an online book club! I like the 50 Book Challenge...we could definitely incorporate this in class to encourage and energize students to read and share about their reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment