Saturday, July 4, 2009

Thing #14

T KMcElman_090516_H2 letter I n27 G #1 4th stop

I was quite unsure about wikis prior to completing thing 14. I didn't really understand fully what they were and I was quite clueless as to their purpose. I appreciated thing 14 because it enlightened me! I now understand better what wikis are and how they can be used in the classroom. I enjoyed exploring the educational wikis and seeing many different classroom applications. I liked Room 15 wiki a lot. It is one I gravitated to instantly because it is used by a sixth grade classroom and since I teach sixth graders I wanted to see how their wiki worked. I loved the book reviews that are contributed by the teacher and students. It is a great springboard for students to share their thoughts about books they've read and to find good reads that are recommended by others. I also loved the homework section -- the teacher used podcasts to communicate with parents about assignments and expectations. This instantly takes out confusion that could come from reading directions rather than hearing them directly from the teacher's mouth. I think it is a great way to stay connected with parents. I liked the Go West wiki that was created by 3rd graders. It is all about the knowledge students have gained by studying the Oregon Trail. I specifically love how there are a variety of student products showcased on their wiki. Another wiki I enjoyed was the Kindergarten Counting Book. I love that this provides concrete, real world representations of numbers for students. The best part is that all of the pictures on the wiki are taken and contributed by kindergarteners!! I know if they can do it my sixth graders and I can too!! Maybe there is a wiki in our future...I am still pondering on how to implement one in my own class.

No comments:

Post a Comment