Monday, June 29, 2009

Thing #9


Flickr was not brand new to me but I definitely learned much more about it today. It was nice to take the tour and become more familiar with all of the features Flickr has to offer. In one of the videos it talked about uploading all of your photos to Flickr for safekeeping in the event of a fire or a computer crash. This is a great idea!! I have often worried about losing all of our pictures in an unforeseen event and I love that Flickr offers peace of mind that my photos will be safe.

I think that there are probably many, many possibilities for using Flickr in the classroom. I looked at/scanned the articles that were linked for uses in the classroom. There were some really neat ideas, but it was also a bit of information overload. I could not process all of it at one time. It will be something that I will have to come back to and browse as time allows. I found David Jakes' site very interesting and helpful. I definitely liked his idea for illustrating poetry with Flickr images. I think this is definitely something I could incorporate into my poetry unit to help my students with the figurative language of poetry.

The image I chose for this post is a view of the hotel my husband and I will be staying at on our vacation. It is in Key Biscayne, Florida near Miami, but off of the mainland. It looks like a little bit of paradise to me!! :) I can't wait to be on the beach with a good book!!

1 comment: