Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Thing #5

Well, I am now feeling a bit more savvy since I know what RSS means!! I think the Google Reader is fantastic!! I love that it is one place where you go to get all of the new information you want. I can already see how it could quickly become overwhelming if I have too many feeds going at once. I know I have to use discretion in linking feeds so that I don't get information overload.

While scanning my Google Reader, I found several articles that jumped out at me. One of those articles was titled, Making a Difference. The author's first few lines really drew me in and I knew I had to read the rest of the article. You can read it here. He was discussing why the cause of trying to incorporate more technology into our public schools is so worthwhile. He illustrated his point with a video of a young college student. You can see it here. You must watch this video to get the full picture of what the author is discussing.

I won't take the time to recap the video; however, I will say that it was the story of a boy who overcame great family struggles and chose not to drop out of high school because of the 1 to 1 Laptop program his school implemented. It is a very heartfelt story that further solidifies in my mind that technology can and will change the lives of our students when it is partnered with caring educators. It is going to draw in some of those learners who would otherwise fall through the cracks and drop out of school. We have to acknowledge this and equip our students to be successful in the 21st century.

2 comments:

  1. You can always drop feeds that you aren't reading and add new ones. I change mine all the time. I subscribe to one and then find I don't read it like i thought I would. It's so great that it's personalized just for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the amount of information being overwhelming. This is something I had mentioned on my posting also. We will just have to learn how to manage all the information and "weed through" what we want.

    ReplyDelete