Friday, June 26, 2009

Thing #6

I am really enjoying getting familiar with Google Reader. It is quite user-friendly and I just love how all of the information I want is right at my own fingertips in ONE place!!! That information is quickly piling up, by the way, so I know that I am going to have to be diligent about skimming it each day or every other day so it doesn't become excessive. Skimming is the important word there. I love that I don't have to read each piece in full...I just scan and then stop and give pieces that really catch my eye more time and attention.

While I was skimming there was one blog post in particular that beckoned me to read it!! That piece was titled, Teachers Without Borders off to Africa. I have heard of Doctors Without Borders, but I had no idea that there was an organization of Teachers Without Borders. This particular article was referring to the Canada affiliation; however, after reading I did some additional research and found the organization's home website. This is something that is so exciting to me. The organization partners with underdeveloped countries all over the world. Teachers volunteer their time and efforts to bring staff development, training, and technology classes to teachers in countries who desperately need it. It sounds like a fabulous organization. As teachers and people in the education field, I know our passion is to help children and families. We have the potential to positively impact lives and give students hope for a better future by equipping them with an education and that is why I chose this career. I love that this organization allows teachers to not just impact the lives of those students who are near us, but also students who are across the globe! This is definitely something I am going to keep on my radar.

No comments:

Post a Comment