Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Course Reflection #5

I learned many things about myself throughout the five weeks of this course. One of the things that I mentioned in a previous post is how I must manage my time better. I tend to spend too much time over-thinking my responses or work rather than just having confidence and going with my instincts. I also allow myself to be distracted by other things that are going on and can lose focus, which extends the time I need for a particular task. Time management is a goal that I have in mind for improving in the next course and the others that follow.

Another thing that I realized about myself during this class is how little I really knew about technology and implementing it in the classroom. I tend to pride myself on being an educator who is "in the know" and is constantly learning. I by no means considered myself a technology expert before beginning this course, but I certainly felt like I knew more than I actually did. While I had some surface knowledge of many of the Web 2.0 tools we looked at, I did not fully understand how they worked or could be used in my class. I am definitely grateful that we were required to read a technology leadership book, since it probably wouldn't have been a priority if it weren't mandatory. The book I read offered a wealth of knowledge and resources that helps me be better equipped as I enter my classroom hoping to implement some of my new learning.

One other thing that I really acknowledged about myself during this course is how little leadership experience I have. I knew this of course, but when we actually had to put it on paper in our Curriculum Vita it made me think about it more. I don't typically consider myself a leader because I tend to be quiet and would much prefer staying in the background to being in the spotlight. What I've realized though is that I don't have to change my personality; I just have to be willing to step out of my comfort zone. I want to be the best teacher I can be and I also want to help other teachers be their best. This will require some new adventures for me, but I am excited to build my leadership experience through my Internship.

No comments:

Post a Comment