Sunday, August 29, 2010

Action Research - What's it all about?

I have to admit that action research is a new phenomenon to me. I had never heard of it until I began this class. I have found it to be an interesting concept based on our reading and I think it will be useful to me as a classroom teacher despite the fact that I do not desire to become an administrator.

Action research is a method of inquiry by a principal or teacher. It requires reflecting on one's own practices to discover areas of weakness and targeting those areas for improvement. Once you have decided on a topic for inquiry, action research requires reading about and gathering data on possible solutions. Then, based on your findings you begin to implement solutions you have found. Throughout the entire process you must continually gauge the progress of the things you have implemented. If these are adding value, then you will continue. If they are not, then you might discard them and try another possible avenue for the expected outcome. I think one of the most important aspects of action research is reflection. You must set aside time to reflect upon the changes you've made and if they are producing the desired results. Action research emphasizes lifelong learning and inquiry.

As an educator, lifelong learning and inquiry are very important to me. I feel that it is my responsibility to continually learn and stretch myself to be a better teacher and facilitator of learning in my classroom. This is one of the great benefits I will receive from action research. I also really like the idea that I get to be the one who is fueling the research and the plan for improvement. Because I am the one in the classroom everyday I like that I do not just have to rely on some professor or outside expert who really cannot relate to my situation at my campus with my students. While there is benefit to their knowledge, sometimes it tends to be irrelevant or unrealistic to accomplish in "real life". I know that once I become more familiar with action research I will be able to use it to better my teaching practices in my own classroom and hopefully serve as a help to improve certain aspects of my campus as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment